For grades 3-8, our CYO Basketball program competes in the CYO Athletic Basketball league which is sponsored by the Office of Youth & Young Adult Ministry, under the Archdiocese of Newark.
Though it is a very competitive league, there are “all play” rules which ensure that every child gets to participate in games. Grades 3-4 are considered PeeWee’s and are intended to be less “competitive” than the older grades, providing a place for development while introducing players to competitive play. We strongly encourage and expect our coaches to focus on development, not winning, at this age. From grades 5-8, the level of competition increases significantly.
There are two seasons: our main Winter season and our Summer session.
- The Winter season runs from November to mid-March, with each team playing approximately 10-14 games per season.
- Most games are on weekends but also can be on weeknights. Each team plays half its games at our home gym (St. John’s Academy) and half at the other team’s gym (within Bergen County).
- Practices are typically once a week in the evening, with the specific day & time chosen by the coach and league based on availability.
- There are playoffs and championship games for each division, as well as an All-Star game.
- Runs from mid-June through July, 8-10 games per team.
- Games are on weeknights only, Monday-Thursday. Generally, half of the games are home and half away.
- Practice frequency/scheduling is based on coach and gym availability.
- No playoffs.
Division groupings are based on grade, with each grouping having up to 4 divisions based on enrollment.
- Pee Wee: Grades 3-4
- Junior Varsity: Grades 5-6
- Varsity: Grades 7-8
Players must either be a student at St. John’s Academy, or be currently enrolled and active in the St. John’s Parish CCD program. Players must participate in at least one evaluation if required.
- 3rd or 4th graders must be no older than 10 as of August 31st.
- 5th or 6th graders must be no older than 12 as of August 31st.
- 7th or 8th graders must be no older than 14 as of August 31st.
- The Summer session is open to students who are entering grades 3-8 in the upcoming Fall. This means that students who just completed 2nd grade ARE eligible to participate, but those who just completed 8th grade are NOT.
- $290 per player (includes uniform)
- $120 per player
- $45 for jersey
- $35 for shorts
- Prior players may keep their uniform if it fits
St. John’s Sports Association
460 Hillsdale Ave
Hillsdale, NJ 07642